In addition to our hardworking teachers, school aides and paraprofessionals are on the front lines in classrooms across West Virginia. School aides and paraprofessionals provide a necessary and important function in the learning and development of every West Virginia school child.
The WVSSPA is committed to the following legislative goals for West Virginia's school aides, paraprofessionals, and ECCAT personnel:
Early Childhood Classroom Assistant Teacher (ECCAT) Legislation
- Re-introduce the ECCAT legislation by offering amendments concerning the following:
- Fix the language so that it reflects the original legislative intent in SB359.
- Providing extra pay for ECCAT, aides and paraprofessionals who work in classrooms where the number of students exceeds 20 in Kindergarten and 25 in grades 1-4.
- Adequate funding for a 4-year salary package for service personnel and teachers with across the board implementation: Year 1-$2,000; Year 2-$2,000; Year 3-$2,000; Year 4-$4000
- Re-instate the holiday pay
- Automatic cost-of-living increases
WV PEIA Insurance
- Increase PEIA employer contribution to match employment numbers
- Re-instate the retiree subsidy for new hires as of July 1, 2010
- Stronger healthcare cost containment legislation
WV State Board of Education
- Require legislative approval for State BOE members